Thursday, May 24, 2007

Kaiser Frazer Owners Club, Int.


Any Kaiser-Frazer enthusiast should be a member of the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club, Int. (KFOCI) which was founded in 1959. The Club publishes a Monthly Bulletin which features information about meets and events at the local, regional and national level. The Bulletin also has ads for cars, parts, and literature. Members can run free ads of items for sale or wanted. In addition there is a magazine published four times a year with one issue being a pictorial calendar featuring the cars. The Club has a website that includes information on membership including a way to join online.

One unique benefit of membership is the Manufacturing Fund which has a one-time additional membership fee of $10. This fund makes available certain parts that have been produced based on demand by the membership.

I joined the Club in the early 80s and my first attendance at a meet was the National Convention in Pigeon Forge TN in the summer of 1984. I drove my 54 Kaiser Late Special to that meet. Tom Stradt and I just completed the installation of a Chevy V8 prior to the trip. I have attended all the Nationals since then except for a couple. I missed the meet in Goshen IN in 1995 due to the illness of my father and I missed last year's meet as a consequence of my own health issues. I am making plans to be in Hoffman Estates IL the first week in July at the Chicago Marriott Northwest for this year's convention.

The National meets are a great chance to see some really excellent examples of KF and Willys products. Usually Darrins, Kaiser and Frazer convertibles, Jeepsters, and sometimes factory specials and show cars turn out. Thursday is judging day and is the best time for a one-day visit since a few cars show up only on the judging day. This year the feature cars are the Henry J and Allstate so some really good examples of these should be present.

Another benefit is a number of vendors will be present with parts, literature and other KF items for sale.

You will have a chance to meet others who have interests similar to yours. In my case I still look forward to visiting with some that I met at the very first meet I attended. I see some of these only once a year at the Nationals. The sponsors of this year's National have a website with all the details of the events.

No comments: